Pumpkin Maple Donuts
for the donuts
- 3 tablespoons brown butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Autumn Maple Beer
- 1 envelope instant dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour
for the cinnamon sugar topping
- 1/2 cup brown butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
for the donuts
- in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk and Autumn Maple beer, whisking together completely.
- microwave in 10 second increments until the mixture reaches 105 degrees F.
- once the mixture is 105 degrees F, pour into the bowl of a stand mixer and add the package of yeast. stir gently to combine, and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- after 5 minutes, add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, egg, egg yolks and pumpkin puree.
- attach the dough hook to the mixer, and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute to ensure the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- add the bread flour and pastry flour, and mix on medium-high speed for 4-6 minutes, or until the dough is soft and sticky.
- transfer the dough to a buttered bowl with tall sides, and cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap. allow to sit on the counter for about 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- you can also refrigerate the dough overnight at this stage if not making the doughnuts immediately. when you’re ready to make them, just take the bowl out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter at room temperature for about 30-40 minutes.
- once the dough has doubled in size, scrape it out of the bowl and onto a well-floured surface. make sure you flour your hands as well, as this dough is very sticky!
- knead the dough for about 1 minute to punch it down, adding a little more flour if the dough becomes too sticky to work with.
- line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to approximately 1/2” thick.
- using a floured 3” cutter, cut out doughnut rounds from the dough, and transfer the rounds to the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2” between each doughnut.
- re-roll the scraps and continue cutting out doughnuts until all the dough has been used.
- using a floured small cutter, anywhere from 1/2”-1” in diameter, punch out the center of each doughnut and transfer the small doughnut holes to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- once all of the doughnuts are cut out, cover the baking sheets with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot for about an hour. you can let them rise for up to 90 minutes, but don’t let them go longer than that or they will over-proof and not bake properly.
- preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- in a medium bowl, combine the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon for the doughnut topping, and set aside.
- bake the 3” round doughnuts for 20 minutes, or until light golden brown, and bake the doughnut holes for 10 minutes until golden.
for the brown butter
- place butter in a small saucepan over high heat, and allow to melt. swirl the pan occasionally, and the butter will begin to make popping and hissing sounds as it bubbles up and the milk solids cook.
- as soon as the milk solids have turned brown and the butter smells nutty, remove it from the heat and allow to cool.
assembling the donuts
- remove the doughnuts from the oven.
- one at a time, dip each doughnut into the cooled melted brown butter, making sure both sides are coated. transfer to the cinnamon sugar, and make sure all sides are coated well.
- repeat with remaining doughnuts and doughnut holes.
- serve immediately with a chilled glass of Autumn Maple beer!
- these doughnuts are best just baked and served warm, but they will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
#recipe #donuts #doughnut #breakfast #food #food porn #pumpkin #autumn #donut
- thatnerdyboy likes this
- meowhiru-koizumi reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- dinosaurdragon reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- terminallycooking reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- xxradioactive-teddybearsxx reblogged this from autumngirlsoup
- autumngirlsoup reblogged this from eshanti
- kathym03 likes this
- nerdlover510 reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- ah-madeus likes this
- wecallthemmiracles likes this
- ameandrain likes this
- letmeseeyourmacaroons reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- a-little-glass-vial reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- killua-san reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- alannas070 likes this
- shotadult likes this
- eshanti reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach
- eshanti likes this
- misfitting-in reblogged this from inthepitofmystomach and added:
- believingishalfthechallenge likes this
- mayasownmenagerie likes this
- randomwithoutcoffee likes this
- mimieats likes this
- tasteslikewordsalad likes this
- inthepitofmystomach posted this