Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes
- 12 paper cupcake liners
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk, low-fat
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- 2. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Add the sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and stir to combine (do not overmix).
- 3. Fill each baking cup 2/3 full. Bake until a skewer inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- 4. When the cupcakes are cool, melt the chocolate over a double boiler. Let the chocolate cool until it thickens slightly. Using a spoon, drizzle the cupcakes with the melted chocolate.
- Makes 12 standard size cupcakes or 24 miniture cupcakes.